is part of the natural environment. It is a form of fungus that is
ubiquitous in character and reproduces by means of microscopic spores,
which are invisible to the naked eye and drift through the air. Molds
grow indoors when the spores come into contact with damp substances,
whether it is wood, paper, carpets, or food. Toxic mold refers to
sickness arising from exposure to certain molds.
Inhaling or touching toxic mold can cause allergic reactions in some people,
as the molds produce a poisonous substance called mycotoxin. Common symptoms
include headache, fatigue, and irritation in the eyes, nose, skin, and lungs.
Contact with considerable quantities of toxic mold can also cause asthma attacks.
Constant exposure to toxic mold is poisonous. In the 1930s, toxic mold caused
the death of farm animals in Russia and other countries. Today, the agriculture
industry keeps a vigil on mold in grains to prevent food supplies and animal
feed from becoming infected.
Damp building equipment like drywall, wood, carpets, and carpet padding contribute
to mold growth. Mold growth in an indoor environment is in general related to
an indoor water or moisture problem. Leaky roofs, building maintenance problems,
or plumbing issues can cause mold growth inside buildings.
Mold requires moisture to grow. Reduce indoor humidity to decrease mold growth
by venting bathrooms, increasing ventilation, and using exhaust fans whenever
cooking, dishwashing, and cleaning. Keep the place ventilated, and if there is
an appliance that leaks or drips water, it should be fixed immediately. Repair
any leaks or roofing problems within a day, as mold can grow on virtually any
surface. However, cleaning up mold without taking care of the root problem, i.e.
moisture, will not be of any use, as the mold will most likely come back.
More on Toxic Mold: